CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

afternoon break

On Wednesdays, I have a few hours to kill between teaching/art class in the morning and my graduate course at night. The break is long enough that I came home to eat something and wait.

The problem with being home in the middle of the day is that you are a prime victim for bad teen movies and reruns of trashy reality tv. Yesterday, I indulged in some America's Next Top Model and fell asleep to A Cinderella Story with Hilary Duff and Chad Michael Murray. [I know, right? I am ashamed to even admit that I know the name of that movie and the names of its stars. No self-respecting adult would admit to having watched a Hilary Duff movie, even if just to induce a nap.]

Today, I am catching up on my Top Chef reruns. I am a SUCKER for reality television, but any that involve fashion or cooking especially captivate me. I absolutely love the melodrama involved in Top Chef. "Sandy, we're going to have to send you home because we asked you to make a barbeque dish, and your dish was braised the night before, which obviously [OBVIOUSLY!] isn't barbeque." Dramatic Pause. Low Rumblings of Dramatic Music. "Please pack your knives and go."

What I want to know is who gets to sit around and come up with the "goodbye phrase" for these reality shows? As goodbye phrases go, "please pack your knives and go" is one of the greats. However, doesn't it make you wonder what was on the reject list?

"Turn off your burners. You will sautee no more."
"We're spitting you, and your food, out of our mouths."
"Please wash your pans, dry them, and put them away. You've been demoted to dishwasher."

Right? WHO COMES UP WITH THIS STUFF?

This is what happens when they let me go home in the middle of the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol!!! I watched american's top model reruns and Rachel Ray 30 minute meals yesterday during the day too!!! Great MINDS as they say......(Heavy accent--- They don't want me to see MY babies!!) LOVE you Sis!

Drew said...

Haha, that’s really funny and I can completely relate! Since I’ve been in Boston alone, sometimes I just sit and watch tv (school hasn’t started) and it seems that Americans Next Top Model is the ONLY thing on! It’s unreal, but I am embarrassed to say I have been watching it…don’t tell anyone:)

Harvard is Hogwarts and I love it! I just finished book seven yesterday and now I don’t know what to do with my life!

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize with you on the "break during the day". Mondays and Wednesdays, I have a 2 hour break between two of my classes. If I'm lucky, Husband gets to pick me up, bring me home and let me eat lunch. If I'm not lucky, I get to stay at school and conjugate Spanish verbs before class.