CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

one of my favorite things

I love going to the movies. A lot. I love going with friends, with my mom, with my entire family, and I especially love movie dates. I love the whole process of a movie date: dressing up in something a little more fun that work clothes, going to eat together, going to the theatre, getting something sweet [because Husband has turned me into a sweet tooth-- seriously, I can't go any meal without dessert anymore], sitting in the theatre, talking and savoring the anticipation, watching the previews [I LOVE previews. Husband hates them.], and finally, enjoying that exciting moment when the movie begins. I usually commemorate that moment by giving a little squeal and squeezing Husband's arm. He loves that.

There is a small problem in this beautiful scene. Husband isn't always so keen on the movie date. Why, you might ask? What man would not want to take his lovely wife to the movies? Well, understandably, if Husband doesn't want to see that particular movie, he just isn't interested. Which leads us to a key difference between Husband and myself. I love going to the movies so much that I will go to any movie. The atmosphere of the cinema makes up for any horrible movie that I may get talked into seeing. I will go see the action movies, the weird political thrillers, the psychological dramas, whatever. Husband is not so much the same way. He won't go to just any movie. If he doesn't want to see it, he's not going.

Now, this isn't really a problem. Don't cry for me. I discovered this about Husband while we were dating, and I decided that I would have to go to a lot of movies with other people when he didn't want to go. A "pick your battles" situation, you know? So, I go to chick flicks with my mom. I go to fun silly movies with Little Scotty [we actually have quite a lot of fun on our "dates"]. I go to existential out of the box movies with my friends. And when Husband wants to see a movie, I get really excited because I get to go with him!

Which leads me to now. Now is OSCAR SEASON. All the good movies are about to start coming out. The movies the studios know are good enough for this time of year. The kind of movies that Husband likes. YAY! Brad Pitt is at the movies. Cate Blanchett is at the movies. HUSBAND AND I will be at the movies. TOGETHER!

[But I also really want to see The Jane Austen Book Club and you KNOW Husband will just give me a look when I ask him if he will go with me. Takers?]

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

MEMEMEME!!!! Love MOTHA

Anonymous said...

I think I finally found something in common with your husband. I am the picky movie watcher and Jacob is what I like to call a "movie slut" and will go see ANYTHING. If I am paying $10 and investing two hours of my life, it better be GOOD. Give Mr. Booker some kudos for me.