CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

For Whitney

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

While I've had the first part of this quote on my blog for over a year, I recently discovered the next few sentences. I think this paragraph summarizes the last five to seven years of my life. Thankfully, even the last sentence is true. Sometimes you really do "live your way into the answer."

[Side note: I first discovered this small book when Sister Mary Clarence (Whoopi) recommends it to Rita Louise Watson (Lauryn Hill, ya'll!) as she struggles with the decision to abandon her high school choir because, in the words of her tightly-wound mama, "singing does not put food on the table--singing does not pay the bills" in the screen classic Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit. This little gem also boasts the best movie quote of all time, which Brother Robby and I like to use against one another: "Baby, SAVE IT for OPRAH!"]

5 comments:

Kelly Riggs said...

Attention any and all literary agents: Kristina's work is insightful, screaming funny and eminently publishable. Please direct any and all offers to me - her Dad.

(Note: This reference is unsolicited and, of course, completely unbiased.)

Robby Riggs II said...

On the contrary...

Please send all offers to me her agent/Brother. All of her writings in some way are a reflection of the wonderful job I did raising and developing her Author/Wife/Insightfulness.

Brother

Kelly Riggs said...

Youngsters...

That son, would be a conflict of interest. You are obviously biased, and I am not.

Anonymous said...

I birthed her and I say she can give all the CREDIT to God and hard Work!!!( Well, come to think of it who taught her to work hard, doing chores, obeying her mother, and taught her to throw her fuses out the window!!! Wait that was me) Please send all offers directly to MOTHA!!!

Whitney said...

Clearly, this post is titled "For Whitney" which obviously shows that any credit is "FOR WHITNEY." Duh, people. =)
And Kris...thank you for this. I like that we have almost the same life, except you've already gone through a LOT of the crap that I get to experience now. I LOVE YOU!
Love,
Cousin