CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 8, 2007

Favorite Part

In my family, we have a game. Its called Favorite Part.

All our lives, Motha! would end any family event or get together by asking all of us, "what was your favorite part?" When we came home from a trip, we knew to prepare our Favorite Parts. When we participated in an activity at school, we quickly determined a Favorite Part. Family vacation? Favorite Part increased to a daily activity. Sometimes more than once a day. We'd get back from a meal or even a movie, and there would be the question. "What was your favorite part?" was the anthem of my adolescence.

When I married Husband, we quickly indoctrinated him into the rules of Favorite Part. When we were dating and would go home for a weekend, he'd have to tell his Favorite Part by Sunday afternoon. It was like training camp. I had to teach Husband that part of Favorite Part is that you always reciprocate the question. When someone asks you your Favorite Part, you must also ask for theirs. Sometimes Husband forgets this precept and I am forced to sit in silence until he remembers. He seems to love torturing me by "forgetting" how Favorite Part works.

Throughout our marriage, Husband and I have always laughingly asked one another for our Favorite Part, and it always leads to a good discussion of whatever we've just finished doing. [That Motha! knows her stuff.] Last night on the way home from the airport, I couldn't wait to hear his take on our trip to New York.

"So babe, what was your favorite part?"

"Ummmm.... seeing Kim and Mike."

"That cannot be a favorite part. Its not a specific moment or activity. You know the rules of Favorite Part. You must specify a particular moment or event for your favorite part. For example, you could say that playing Wii with Kim was your favorite part. Do you see the difference?"

"There is no difference. While playing Wii with Kim, I was seeing Kim. Its the same thing. You're arguing semantics."

"There IS a difference. Seeing Kim and Mike is not a part. We were doing that the whole time. It was the very purpose of our trip. The purpose of a trip cannot be a favorite part."

"You can't tell me my favorite part. You can't fit my favorite part into your mold."

"Those are the rules of Favorite Part. I didn't make them. I just enforce them."

3 comments:

Robby Riggs II said...

You cannot truly understand the gravity of Favorite Part until you have experienced Motha! over an extended period of time.

What you did leave out, however, is that The Boss is exempt from any and all Favorite Part conversations, except of course to mock and cause all discourse in any and all Favorite Part Dialouge.

Jenny said...

Okay Kristina I am finally delurking to comment;)

My boys are 4 and 3 and I started asking what their favorite part is when they get in the car after 'school'. I found to have more of a conversation starter with them instead of asking how the day was.

I can see this becoming a tradition with our family too!

Rhonda said...

Go Sis, Go! The Enforcer LIVES! (MOTHA)